Saturday, October 1, 2011

Take Away 9 - Treasure Tricks

About 20 years ago, I worked in administration with a great group of women at the small hospital in Juneau, Alaska. One of the ladies there was also volunteer for the Salvation Army thrift store. She shared a tip with me that was the best "take away" I remember the most. I want to share it with you.

She was always dressed to the 9's so I asked her one day where she shopped and she let me in on a little secret. Because she was a volunteer, she was allowed to choose 2 items each shift from the mounds of donated clothing. She said the trick to finding brand name treasures at thrift stores is to start at the beginning of the rack and to move every single hanger. You cannot stand out from a rack and expect to see the treasures.

Personally, I think this trick works when meeting new people.  How many times I have judged someone in the first 14 seconds of meeting them and when I took the time to move the obstacles away, I found such treasures.

TAKE AWAY: Carefully look for hidden treasures in every situation.

7 comments:

  1. So true. I have, at times, found that the people who, at first glance, don't seem like people I'd like at all, end up being the ones I find myself closest to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the correlation of thrift store shopping and meeting someone for the first time. Great connection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, thanks to thrift stores, I dress pretty well, and have a total clothing budget of maybe as much as $100/year. Now as to the folks I have met that ended being my best friends and confidants, etc, probably 65% or better were on hard times when I met them {some still are}, and were very quality folks under a few layers of ... um, faded paint shall we say. I take opportunity at grocery stores, and just about anywhere else to try to strike up a conversation with whomever, and have been rewarded with a ton of knowledge and insight from the folks from all over the country and world that I have talked ever so briefly, but some times in a good deal of depth on hundreds of topics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great advice! Too often we make snap decisions and miss the treasure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of these are good advice! I love your perspective on meeting new people. So true. And such a creative way of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great advice - to find those "blessings in disguise" so to speak.

    ReplyDelete